OCC Race Team

Catch up on Club Business, post your ride and race plans, race results and anything else. There's a lot of creativity and humor in our midst. Entertain us here. Post your stories, thoughts, ideas, poems, songs or whatever's on your mind.

OCC Race Team

Postby mgorman » August 23rd, 2010, 9:52 pm

Hello,

As many of you know, there has been a decline in road race participation by the OCC crew with only a handful still competing more than once during the year. When I joined the club a few years back we'd have 3 or more riders in a couple fields and I'd like to see those numbers grow and members reach their goals

Myself and a few others would like to see more red riders at the start line and help develop new riders for Road, Time Trials, Cyclocross, Mountain Bikes and Multisport events

As it stands now
Tim Bonifant - 5, MTB Vet Sport
Kristin Broda - Interested in CX, TT and MTB
Matthew Broda - Interested in CX, TT and MTB

Lorena Brown, 4?, CX, MTB, Mechanic?
Dominic Calvarese - 5
Michael Chapman - 4
Keith Feeman - 5, CX
Turra Gorman, Tri, TT
Chris Huck, 4, CX, MTB Sport?
Mark Jones, MTB Vet Sport
John Lorsen - 3, Masters, CX, (MTB Vet Ex Soup Can)
Josh McClay - 4?, Du
Joe Merry - 5 MTB Vet Sport
David Morris - 5
Soup Can Racing? - MTB
David Young - 3 Ultra Endurance
Michael Gorman - 2, Masters, CX, MTB Vet Ex

Interested
Aaron Hershberger, 5
Andrew Kohler, 5
Joe Lautzenheiser
William Schleck - 3

On the fence and need a push

Joel Schmidt - 4
Steve Silver - 5, MTB
Stefan Gracia - 5, MTB

There are some more MTB racers and club members but I haven't heard from them.

If you are interested in racing and competing for the Orrville Cycling Club or know someone who is no matter the discipline, please get in touch with me.

Michael Gorman
mgorman at sssnet dot com
Last edited by mgorman on November 22nd, 2010, 11:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Using Ti on my bike is like taking a sun chair off the Queen Mary and bragging about how much lighter it is. - Jocflier

Gorman Racing - Established in 1964, crashing ever since...

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Re: OCC Race Team

Postby mgorman » August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm

1st post updated
Using Ti on my bike is like taking a sun chair off the Queen Mary and bragging about how much lighter it is. - Jocflier

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby DavidMorris » August 25th, 2010, 4:00 pm

mike will be offering free tire changes before every race
DavidMorris
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby chapman_164 » August 25th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I'm racing cat 4 road now (and will be for a while by the looks of it) and will be racing CX too (one week to go!).

Dom: you're about ready for your 4 upgrade, right? You going to be a 4 next year?

We should have Chris Huck and Lorena Brown on the list too (right guys?). I know Chris will be ripping up the CX series and I hope to see Lorena out there too. Do either of you think you'll be road racing next year?

It looks like we could have a nice cat 4 team next year. For the cat 5s: remember, all you need to do is start (finishing not required) 10 races and you're eligible for an upgrade to cat 4.

Mike Chapman
chapman_164
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby mgorman » August 25th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Brown, Jones and Huck added. Let me know if I have any categories incorrect.

Dave, I change them during (if you crash or puncture near me) and after too

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby racelite » August 27th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Hi Mike and Mike,
Yes, I am ready for an upgrade. I will probably be doing that for sure, next year! I am planning on doing the first cyclecross race at Camp Manatoc....
talk to you soon,
Dominic

"Slow to go Fast" Mic Bacerra
racelite
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby jasonnsuppan » August 27th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Forgive me for asking but is the purpose of this effort to merely identify people who want to race or is there some restructuring afoot? (I've been dying to use that word...afoot....how afitting).
jasonnsuppan
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby chapman_164 » August 27th, 2010, 3:30 pm

You're forgiven.

I think the biggest thing we're trying to accomplish is to get more people out racing. As most people have realized there haven't been many people road racing the past couple years. There's been some renewed interest in it lately so I think we're trying to foster that and get some sort of Orrville road racing team back together to complement the rest of the things that the club is doing. Can we add your name to the list?

Mike Chapman
chapman_164
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby mgorman » August 27th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Ditto, what he said. There has be a renewed interest in racing from riders who want to get their feet wet and some who miss having a road race team around and would like more company in the field. I know some guys gave up the road in favor of the dirt which is totally cool, we're just trying fill their shoes.

The one of the reasons Dick W and Joel S left was because they were riding solo at all the events which is primarily what I have to do also. My dilemma stems from the Ohio cycling associations rule that a cat 1 or 2 can not ride masters. Some would let you if you were over 50.

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby mgorman » September 14th, 2010, 11:49 pm

First post updated in BOLD

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby Stefan Garcia » October 12th, 2010, 4:57 pm

You can put me in the category of "on the fence, but need a push." I might be interested in a few local road or MTB races next year. Local being not spending the whole day driving to a from. Maybe it would be good to post or distribute a list of Ohio races for 2011 when they are available so that we novices can plan for them and find out who else in the club may want to participate. Does that sort of thing already exist?

Stefan Garcia
Stefan Garcia
Sprint Leader
Sprint Leader

Postby mgorman » October 12th, 2010, 8:15 pm

I'd like to get together some evening to discuss next year and let those who are interested, ask questions to those who have been there.

I'm open to suggestions

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby Stefan Garcia » October 13th, 2010, 8:38 am

We could meet at Jerry's in Orrville. Tues and Thurs nights are bad for me, but any other night-including weekends-is fine. Maybe we could do the Soupcan Phsyco-cross first and then head over? What do you think, Jason?

Stefan
Stefan Garcia
Sprint Leader
Sprint Leader

Postby mgorman » October 13th, 2010, 9:42 am

Maybe next week, I'm out this week.

Is Jerry's a person, place or thing?

Michael
mgorman
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Postby chapman_164 » October 13th, 2010, 1:18 pm

There are a couple places to look for Ohio races. Ohio Cycling, our local USCF association, keeps a schedule of Ohio events. You can also get a list at USA Cycling. Both of these only list USCF-sanctioned events so they won't include any local ABR races (like Malabar Farm) or non-sanctioned races (like the Medina Twin Sizzler). Also, they don't have a schedule for 2011 up yet. Typically they post this a couple weeks after my wife makes our vacation plans for the year.

The best you can do right now is look at this year's schedule and guess that most of the races will be held on the same weekends. Based on that, here's what I'm expecting in 2011:

April:
- Three Valley Circuit Races (AKA Covered Bridge), Akron
- Three Race at the Lakes, Munroe Falls
May:
- One Valley Circuit Race (AKA Covered Bridge), Akron
- One Race at the Lake, Munroe Falls
- Chippewa Creek Road Race, Brecksville
June:
- Mill Creek Circuit, Youngstown
July:
- Medina Twin Sizzler, Medina
- Tour of the Valley RR, Columbiana
- Tour of the Valley Crit, Youngstown
August:
- Zoar RR, Zoar
- Milk Race, Orrville
- Rubber City Meltdown, Akron

I'm expecting a couple of new races to show up on the schedule, too. And this is just for north-eastern Ohio. If you include Columbus it adds maybe another half dozen to the list. And these are just the "mass start" races. There are also numerous time trial opportunities locally for people that are into that sort of thing. Should be plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy ourselves.

Mike Chapman
chapman_164
Yellow Jersey
Yellow Jersey

Next

Return to Club News, Rides, Races, Comentary, General Musings, Gossip, Etc. . . .

• VISITORS